Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Invisible Man


I love listening to audiobooks while I paint - usually in the morning - before switching to music in the later hours. I'm usually a fan of the political thrillers and detective stories (the Bourne series by Robert Ludlum read by Scott Brick were fantastic). In my previous post on the 'Precious' essay by Darryl Washington, he referenced the novel 'The Invisible Man' by Ralph Ellison. It's one of those books that I had always intended to read but never got around to. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and downloaded the audiobook which was read by the actor Joe Morton. I have to tell you that it was by far the best audiobook that I have listened to in a long time. Joe Morton's ability to bring to life a myriad of characters was phenomenal. He vocally painted a picture and infused the dialogue with so much emotion that you felt as though you were a part of the narrative and watching it being constructed in front of your eyes. I was so impressed with his treatment of the material that I plan to see what other books he has read and download them for future listening.

On the painting front, I am currently working on five more individuals and will post the progress in a day or two. This weekend I have to make a report to the School of Government on my progress. I spoke with Ann Simpson a couple days ago and she mentioned that they plan to have a meeting with the Federal credit Union officials to begin discussions on plans for the unveiling. The meeting will be on the 29th and I'm planning to attend. I need to head back to Chapel Hill and take a look at the wall where the painting will hang to verify a couple measurements and determine what color it should be. They had a museum expert come in and advise them on the proper lighting for the piece based on the location and dimensions. I yielded to his advice since such things are beyond my periphery. What I am most concerned with at this time is the physical construction of the wall (surface material, stud location, etc.). I need to gather as much information for the carpenter (Jim Hale) who I will be calling in soon to begin building the frame and figuring out the mounting process. This is one of those one shot deals that I need to go as smooth as possible after transporting the painting and stretching it on location.  

No comments:

Post a Comment