Monday, October 4, 2010

Studio's are for Pu**y's

Sorry about the long lapse - been doing what I try to do best - paint! I have two exhibits approaching fast - 'Subjective Perception' at Benedict College, a solo, and a group exhibit I was recently invited to participate in at the I.P. Standack Museum at SC State University in Orangeburg, SC. I have already chronicled the problems (in a roundabout way to protect the innocent) with the exhibition at Benedict in previous posts. The exhibit at SCSU is a thick one dealing with some heavy stuff. Here is the overview:

"On Friday, October 22, 2010 at 6 PM, during SC State’s Homecoming Weekend, 
SC State’s I.P. Stanback Museum and Planetarium will open its next exhibition, Partnership in Social Justice featuring Beyond Swastika and Jim Crow: Jewish Refugee Scholars at Black Colleges, created and circulated by the Museum of Jewish Heritage - A Living Memorial to the Holocaust; and Transcending the Legacy of Slavery and the Holocaust an art exhibition organized by the Idea Coalition. The exhibition continues through Jan. 4, 2011."

SCSU will be exhibiting a couple pieces that I donated to them years ago, and I will also add three more images. I 'm in the process of finishing three new images for the Benedict show. I wanted to do a rather large magazine cover that's been in my head for quite some time now and would be perfect for the SCSU exhibit, but alas, I will not have the time to render it, so there it will remain until I decide to unleash it. I also have to go to Winston-Salem for a couple days to jury an exhibition and review portfolio's - so as you see, my time is being crunched.

Wondering about the title of this post, are you? I borrowed that phrase from a friend of mine, Valerie VanNorte, who used it on T-Shirts for a location movie shoot. I misappropriated it and applied it to my new situation. I'm back to painting in the kitchen. Between there and the garage is where all great artists live and create! ;-) 


As many of you may not know, the studio space I rented to do the 50' painting was the first one I had ever had (other than the studio at McColl during my residency). Now that the work is done, I could no longer afford it and am back to my creative roots. Rather liberating to tell you the truth. Try it sometime - it keeps you humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment