Wednesday, January 6, 2010

In My Top 5ive

Every now and then you run across an artist that makes you stop and wonder what the moment must have been like when the art gods stretched forth from the heavens to anoint someone with the gift. If you consider such an artist a close friend and in my case, a certified mentor you have access to, then you are truly blessed. In my humble opinion, Tyrone Geter is such an artist.



Currently an art professor at Benedict College in Columbia, SC., he is a master of many styles but none so moving as his charcoal / multimedia drawings. The ease at which he composes visual narratives that shed insight into the African American experience is both baffling and exhilarating. His talent is only surpassed by his willingness to discuss and share with other peasant artists like myself who make it a point to hold him hostage whenever I can (and feed him) then make him impart the knowledge. Make it a point to spend some time on his site and you will begin to understand what I have known for some time now and am finally sharing.









No comments:

Post a Comment