Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Anna Holland

Anna Welthy Daughtry Holland (1871-1934)

Annie was an educator and promoter of public education for blacks. She was born in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, on land adjacent to the Welthy (also spelled Wealthy) plantation, the daughter of Sarah Daughtry and J. W. Barnes . Her grandfather Friday Daughtry had been born and raised a slave but during the 1860s was freed by the Welthy family. Annie had been named after Annie Welthy of the Welthy plantation.

I took an inordinate amount of time with Anna's image. I painted her with a wider brush with the intention of limiting the amount of detail. There are basically four different levels of portraits in the painting. The Greensboro Four stand in the forefront and are therefore rendered with the most detail and contrast. Anna starts the second tier of images so I tried to dull her out just a bit to try and create a depth of field. Click on the image below to expand it and you can see the difference in styles. The two guys standing behind her (tier three) will be even more faded. I'm finding out the hard way that painting lighter is more time consuming than the larger and more detailed images. I started on the guy to her left (Abraham Galloway) late today and will finish him on Saturday - I have to go to Charlotte to the McColl Center for Visual Art to attend a session of The Innovation Institute. That's two solid days of painting I will miss - a bummer since I'm in the groove right now, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do. By the way, she will eventually be holding a menu. I have an image of one of the original menu's used at the Woolworth lunch counter. I'll design one that looks consistent with the original but add in some interesting facts about that day for people to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment