Thursday, June 3, 2010

Call and Response

As promised, here are some more pics of the Nick Cave exhibition at the Halsey Institute for Contemporary Art on the campus of the College of Charleston. I attended both lectures given by Nick Cave and Phyllis Galembo and I am happy to report that they were well attended and the audience engaged. 


detail of the textures
Nick Cave gallery talk
Phyllis Galembo gallery talk
I know...my pictures are horrible. The back grounds on my painting are looking wonderful and I promised to post a couple images of them tonight. I've been busy on all fronts the past few days. Two days ago, I got a call from a producer of the Spoleto Festival. They needed a moderator for a talk with Henrique Prince, the leader of one of the last black string bands in America, the Ebony Hillbillies. Why me? My good friend Mark Sloan pitched me for the gig and you don't say 'no' to Mark's requests. They are always reasonable and you are guaranteed to have a great time and more importantly, venture into unknown territory and come back with pearls of wisdom and a map to even more knowledge. The talk was at the Avery Center and needless to say, I was nervous at first, but Rique was a talker and I basically asked him question I wanted to know the answers to - questions like, "What's the difference between a fiddle and a violin?" It also helped that Henrique is a walking storehouse of musical knowledge and carries a compendium of ethnic musical history around in his dread covered head. The Ebony Hillbillies play tonight at the Cistern (sold out) and I'll be there. To get more info go to: ebonyhillbillies.com


The Ebony Hillbillies

No comments:

Post a Comment