Sunday, June 20, 2010

Valances and Work of Art

June 20th! This was the day that I predicted that I would be finished with the main painting and I am. The base color on the valances are in and tomorrow I will fill in the shadows and the window breaks. The whole idea behind them was completely theoretical (yeah, I know what you're thinking - this clown waited this late in the painting to try something experimental?) Yep. They look great and accomplished exactly what I thought they would - lift and separate. Now there is greater delineation between foreground and background which will increase with the shadows and completion of the window framing. After that I start the final eight days of completion in which I will look closely at each of the panels, scrutinize every aspect and make the necessary corrections. Probably won't take that long but I'll use the time to second guess myself until I'm stupid (nearly there already). Time is the enemy now so efficiency will have to be my guide.



I haven't had that much time to watch television over the past few months but when I have - such as last night, I watched Bravo TV's new show 'Work of Art - The Next Great Artist'. Thank God for Tivo. I only recorded the first episode just to try it out and was really surprised by the show. I initially thought that it would be a platform to showcase the virulent pomposity of the art world (a slight odor was evident), but all in all it held up. I suspect that what I liked about it was the format, which was a blatant rip-off of one my favorite TV shows 'Project Runway' (so unimaginative of them but why reinvent the wheel?). It was interesting to watch the process of art executed on the fly and under the ridiculously short time constraints.  I was pleased by the outcome of many of the projects and look forward to seeing what the rest of the season has to offer.


Cast of Bravo TV's Work of Art - The Next Great Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment